Nez'z Plaze

Monday, May 28, 2007

When Nez Runz Thingz

Dear Hollywood.

Please stop making shitty sequels to really good movies.

If you're going to make a trilogy, then make a trilogy. Don't make a single, stand-alone movie and then decide later to make two more sub-standard ones to go with it.

Now, I loved Pirates 1; it's still one of my favorites. But Pirates 3 (while still better than Pirates 2) was, to me, nothing more than milking a franchise for all it was worth. And now you've ruined it for me.

What I would have liked to see were several movies involving the same characters but with a different adventure each time. Take James Bond for example (not the new ones, the old ones); there are so many good Bond films, and why? Because it's a new story each time! It's always Bond, and there's always Q (or R) and M and Moneypenny, but it's always a new villan and a new adventure.

That's what I would have loved to see from Pirates. The ongoing adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan. Adventure on the high seas! Swashbuckling, treasure, pirates... Steve! Keith Richards! There is so much potential for good characters and good pirate-y tales. Done properly, the Pirates stories could have a good long run in our theatres.

But no... you had to make it into a trilogy and drag the one story right into the ground for more than 5 1/2 hours total. Guh.

And don't even get me started on the blatant overuse of CGI.

So shame on you Hollywood! Shame!

Next time, maybe try hiring someone with an original idea who can tell a good story.

3 Comments:

  • And now, a terrible but amazing mash-up of two different entertainment franchises:

    "Steve! Pirates!"
    "Pirates!"


    Seriously, though, I understand your views of Pirates, as I'm of a similar mind. The first was AMAZING, the second was TERRIBLE, and the third was fair. And now, I can just watch Black Pearl and be satisfied with it.

    By Blogger The Doc, at 9:23 a.m.  

  • I was so disappointed by the second (and glad I didn't spend money to see it in a theater) that I am in no hurry to see the third. Love the first one though!

    By Blogger Draya's Mom, at 3:16 p.m.  

  • but it's HOLLYWOOD. of course it's crap.

    ~ninedoors

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home