Nez'z Plaze

Friday, March 16, 2007

Nez Rants About Work

So I was having a great day at work: there was fun, there was lots of laughter, there was a pancake breakfast...

Things were going great until some guy ruined it for me in the middle of the afternoon.

The Story:

One of our receptionists called in sick today, which meant that I had to cover the front desk for a while. The other person in my department had already left early to make it to a doctor's appointment. This guy called the switchboard looking for some info from my department. I couldn't take the call while working the switchboard, and I knew there was no one at my co-workers desk, so I forwarded him onto my voicemail; figuring he would leave a message and I could call him back when I got to my desk. He did leave a message, but then rang back to the switchboard. I answered, and he told me that I had directed him to a voicemail and asked if there was anyone else I could direct him to. I politely told him that there was only one person there at the moment, the other person I could've sent him to was out of the office for the afternoon. He responded with, "I don't know what's up with you guys. It's only 3:30 and there's no one there! I wish I had a job like that!" He obviously didn't know it was me he was talking to, he only knew I was the one answering the switchboard.

It was all I could do to continue to be polite to him. I'm sure he meant it in good humour, but it didn't really come across that way.

What an ass!

Just because I wasn't at my desk to take his all-important call, he assumes I'm slacking off somewhere? I'm sorry, buddy, but I don't park my butt at my desk and not move for eight hours a day and stare at the phone waiting for you to call me. Sometimes, my job involves me getting up from my desk and going somewhere else in the office. Gasp!

I was just so taken aback by how self-centered his comment was... It ruined the rest of my afternoon.

And the kicker of all this?

When I called him back?

He wasn't at his desk. I got his voicemail.

3 Comments:

  • Dumb people like that really piss me off! Sorry he wrecked your day like that.

    H worked at Sears for a long time. One day, he was at work and helped a customer out. A few days later, the customer came back in, demanding to talk to H. But it was H's day off. H's coworker attempted to explain to the customer that H was not in, as it was his day off. And the customer lost it, and said that it was very inconvenient for him and that H absolutely should be there. Apparently, said customer just expects retail workers to work 24-7. 'Cause they're treated and paid so darned well and all, y'know?

    Good for you for being mature and not belittling the man when you called him back and he wasn't at his desk. He was probably slacking off somewhere, huh?

    By Blogger Momma Trish, at 8:55 p.m.  

  • I poo on him!

    By Blogger Mary, at 9:34 p.m.  

  • heh. That's a story I am familiar with. remind me to tell you my young broker's story tomorrow night!

    On another note, I got a call from a lady from Missouri a few weeks back... and i think of it and you simultaneously, Ma'am. (said as only you can)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home